Have a few questions about training and studying on Minjerribah? Here’s a few FAQs answered. 

Who is Quandamooka Yoolooburrabee Aboriginal Corporation (QYAC)?

The Quandamooka Yoolooburrabee Aboriginal Corporation (QYAC) ICN 7564 was incorporated under the Corporations (Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander) Act 2006 (Cth). In 2011 it was determined by the Federal Court to be the Prescribed Body Corporate (PBC) under the Native Title Act 1993 (Cth) (NTA) in order to act as agent for the Quandamooka native title holders.

Later in 2011, the QYAC was registered as the Registered Native Title Body Corporate (RNTBC) and performs the functions set out in the NTA including managing the native title rights and interests of the Quandamooka people as recognised in the Federal Court determinations of 4 July 2011, Delaney v State of Queensland [2011] FCA 741.

QYAC has approximately 700 members and has the largest membership of all RNTBC’s/PBC’s in Australia. QYAC is also a registered Cultural Heritage Body under the Aboriginal Cultural Heritage Act 2003 (Qld). It is responsible for cultural heritage management across the Quandamooka estate. 

Quandamooka territory, known as ‘Country’, comprises the waters and lands of and around Moorgumpin (Moreton Island), Minjerribah, the Southern Moreton Bay islands and South Stradbroke Island. It includes the mainland from the mouth of the Brisbane River, Wynnum, Chandler, Lytton, Belmont, Tingalpa, south to Cleveland, to the Logan River. Quandamooka Country crosses the boundaries of four Queensland local governments. 


What is the Certificate 3 Guarantee?

The Certificate 3 Guarantee supports eligible individuals to complete their first post-school certificate III qualification and increase their skills to move into employment, re-enter the workforce or advance their career.

It also supports school students to access training and Queensland’s Year 12 graduates to transition to employment by providing free training in high priority qualifications.

What qualifications are subsidised?

Under the Certificate 3 Guarantee, the Queensland Government provides a subsidy for a range of certificate III qualifications. Foundation skills training and lower level vocational qualifications may also be subsidised in certain circumstances.

Are you eligible to participate?

The program is open to any Queensland resident aged 15 years or over who is no longer at school (with the exception of VET in Schools students) and is an Australian or New Zealand citizen or Australian permanent resident (including humanitarian entrants), or a temporary resident with the necessary visa and work permits on the pathway to permanent residency. Prospective students must not have or be enrolled in a certificate III level or higher qualification (not including qualifications completed at school and foundation skills training).

Additional opportunities may be available in exceptional circumstances where an individual does not meet the eligibility criteria for a program but circumstances indicate the objectives of the program will be met through a confirmed employment benefit. Additional opportunities will be considered on a case-by-case basis, upon request by a prospective student. To learn more, prospective students can contact the Department of Employment, Small Business and Training on 1300 369 935. Or Minjerribah Ganaba Team on 07 34152816.

User Choice

What is the User Choice Program?

The User Choice 2017-20​ program provides a public funding contribution towards the cost of training and assessment for eligible Queensland apprentices and trainees.

The program provides the flexibility for apprentices, trainees and their employers to select a preferred registered training organisation (RTO) from a list of pre-qualified suppliers (PQS) for the delivery of accredited training to meet their specific needs.

How do I participate?

Choose a qualification that interests you and contact the Minjerribah Ganaba Team on 07 34152816. (https://training.qld.gov.au/apprenticeshipsinfo/apprentices/become).

Visit the Queensland Skills Gateway (http://skillsgateway.training.qld.gov.au/) to choose a qualification, learn about the training available, and the training providers that can assist you.

Which apprenticeships and traineeships are funded under User Choice?

Not all apprenticeships and traineeships attract government funding. The funding priority will determine the level of public funds contributed to training regardless of whether the qualification is an apprenticeship or traineeship.

Refer to the User Choice funding and pricing page ( https://training.qld.gov.au/providers/funded/userchoice ) for more information.

Can I start an apprenticeship or traineeship if I am still at school?

Yes you can. School-based apprenticeships and traineeships (SATs) are available in many occupations in Queensland. Students should be in either year 10, 11 or 12, but may be able to enter a SAT prior to starting year 10 in exceptional circumstances. In these circumstances, a business case must be submitted to the department and approved prior to commencing the SAT.

The SAT is undertaken as part of the high school studies. A SAT employment and/or training arrangement must impact on the school timetable for the program to be considered school-based. Apprenticeships or traineeships which do not have an impact on the student’s school timetable are not considered a SAT. 

​All SATs must be supported by the employer, the school, a supervising registered training organisation (SRTO) referred to as the training organisation, and the parent or guardian. SATs are paid for the time spent working with their employer.

SATs receive funding for their training aligned to the priority level of the qualification.

SATs are exempt from paying student fees under the User Choice program while they are still at school.

Parties to the training contract for a SAT should be aware that there are a number of conditions that apply to the training contract, including the amount of training that a SAT can do while they are still attending school. There are also conditions related to the transition of a SAT into full-time or part-time apprenticeship/traineeship arrangements once school has been completed.

If you are interested in undertaking a SAT in the electrotechnology industry, please note that electrotechnology occupations have an application process that must be undertaken prior to the signing of the training contract.

Visit the Apprenticeships Info website ( https://training.qld.gov.au/apprenticeshipsinfo/information-resources/information-sheets/atis-026 ) for more information on school-based apprenticeships and traineeships.

Am I eligible for a funded place in the User Choice Program?

To be eligible for a government contribution towards the costs of training, an apprentice or trainee must have entered into a training contract for a qualification that is funded by the department and be registered in the department’s registration system DELTA. The contract commencement date or recommencement date must be on or after 1 July 2010, and the training provider selected to deliver the training must hold a pre-qualified supplier (PQS) status for the nominated qualification.

The government contribution for a User Choice funding contribution is detailed in the apprentice or trainee’s letter of registration from the department and is subject to student eligibility and their selection of an eligible PQS as their SRTO.

Are there any rules I should be aware of in relation to funding?

Apprentices and trainees can only receive one government contribution for a User Choice funded qualification at any single point in time, i.e. a student is not funded to undertake two apprenticeships or traineeships at the same time.

In addition, apprentices and trainees, including SATs, can only receive a maximum of two government funding contributions under the current User Choice program.

There are other rules specifically related to funding for SATs, so students and their parents/guardians should discuss their intentions with their school’s vocational education and training coordinator prior to signing up as a SAT. Australian Apprenticeship Support Network providers are another good source of information.

Will I be expected to pay fees and charges to my RTO?

Usually students are required to pay a co-contribution fee. In some cases, though, an RTO may provide either a partial or full exemption for a student in respect to the co-contribution fee. SATs are not required to pay a co-contribution fee while they are still at school, but may (visit the Free training for Year 12 graduates section of this website ( https://training.qld.gov.au/training/incentives/year12-fee-free )) be required to pay fees once their training contract has been converted to full-time or part-time post school. Your SRTO will provide in detail its fees and charges policy, including full costs method of collection, refunds and exemptions prior to enrolment.

I’m looking into hiring an apprentice

Apprenticeship Support Australia has a wealth of resources and tools available to employers to help you maximise the benefits of apprenticeships and traineeships within your business. For more information contact us below! Or, contact Apprenticeship Support Australia on 1300 363 831 and check out their website for more info. 

It’s the perfect time to take on a new apprentice in 2019! 

What sort of training is available? 

Minjerribah Ganaba offer many options, courses and pathways to vocational training and education. From School Based Trainee ships, to Cert IIIs and Diplomas; there’s so much we can help with. Check out our Latest News page to see upcoming courses, workshops and government information about incentives or grants you could qualify for. 

Can I still study while at school?

Absolutely! If you are in years 10,11 or 12 contact us below today and we can see what School Based Trainee ships you could study while at school. 

What training organisations do you work with?

We offer courses and pathways through a range of Registered Training Organisations including TAFE QLD and the State Education Department. 

I have years of work experience but have never studied, do I qualify for anything?

Certainly, most workers after years of practical work experience could qualify for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). This could shave years of your study time and bring you closer to a qualification whilst still working! 

Can I study while I work?

Sure can! If you’re studying a course or subject related to your current job, there are many ways to earn while you learn! You could be working and gaining valuable experience whilst you work towards a qualification. 

Have an FAQ you’d like to ask or need some more info? 

Contact us below!

%d bloggers like this: